Thursday, August 8, 2013

Sports Cards

For the athletic people in your life, you should at least know some basic terminology and of course the shapes of basic equipment for the standard sports.  I've got golfing and football crazed family members so these were the two I have started with and are very simple to whip together with the right textures.


Yes, the football is a little kittywhompus but I needed a flat edge to be able to prop it up (it is rounded off much better now).  My grass on the golfball was not especially great but I didn't want it to look like it was in the rough so I had to settle for a basic zigzag scissor cut and my attempts at making a few alterations weren't amazing as you can see.  However, I am pretty pleased with the paint (glass paint pen since it was what I had) on the football, and the inside of the golfball card turned out awesome IMO!


Yes, I put the age on the flag rather than a realistic hole number.  My dad will get a kick out of it because I told him to golf one hole for every year this weekend to celebrate in the message.

The same texture I used for the golfball will work inverted as a soccer ball with some paint or cut out black pieces too.  The football texture could easily be worked onto orange paper for a basketball.  So have some fun with the sports themes!  I've seen some really neat ideas online with sports themed cards and will probably be working a football goal idea into my brother-in-law's graduation card in a few years (especially if he is recruited like he hopes to be)!

1 comment:

  1. **UPDATE: The golfball was given to my dad this past weekend. Being the somewhat clueless man that he is capable of being, he had no idea that I made the card myself. He liked the card a lot and was very careful to know where it was in order to make sure he took it home with him. He was super impressed with it after he found out I made it rather than purchased it. It was endearing to watch him keep such a close eye on it when it would randomly move to be out of the way of meals or whatnot. After all these years, a kid still feels special when her parent takes pride over something handmade for them. I hope that even a small handful of my cards make the other people feel as special as my dad made me feel without even knowing it.

    ReplyDelete