Thursday, December 6, 2012

Christmas Card Display

Having been in the apartment here since the beginning of September and being assured and reassured that it was 'very likely' that we would've been in our house before/near Thanksgiving, I had all of our Christmas stuff packed up and put into storage when we moved.  This means that as we got into December, I had no decorations, no tree, no anything that was 'normal' for me at Christmastime.  Heck, I don't even have a cd player to play my music on!  (Yes, the dvd player would work....and no I don't have a disc drive on my laptop so that won't work.)

How did I go about fixing this?  Well, this year I have a Cricut...so I made a little countdown craft.  We adopted our elf friend Flower.  We set up an inexpensive tree (which will be the upstairs or Momma tree at the new house).  Lastly, I have my Christmas card holder that I made last year hanging up.  It is a little more delicate and odd shaped to store safely in a storage unit full of cupboards, totes, appliances and various outdoor tools so I had it stored on the back of our bedroom door all year long until the move...Flower landed on it the other night so you may have already spotted it in a recent Elf post but here it is again just because I love it.
Christmas Card Holder:
So obviously there aren't any cards on there yet...but it is still early December and we are at a temporary address so I suppose I shouldn't hold my breath on filling this thing up this year but I do love it anyways.


The elf is not typically included in the holder design.  This was crafted last year from (where else?) a Pinterest inspiration.  It was actually the first Pinterest project I completed that wasn't a recipe (actually it might have beaten the recipes too).  This was foam board, ribbon, scrapbook paper (original called for wrapping paper), and decorations--I have a scrapbook tree sticker and decorative red brad pins.  The original design also called for this to be over-a-door mount (two foam boards and the top ribbon would be two pieces to put over the door)--excellent if you have a front closet or another door that is easily viewed in a living space. My house was too small for that option so I adapted and made it a command hook decoration.  Just hang your cards or pictures from the three ribbons using mini clothespins or paperclips that are pretty and there you go!

No comments:

Post a Comment